Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11/01 10 Years Later

When someone says the numbers 9 and 11 together one thing immediately pops into every American's mind. If you were alive on 9/11/2001, you remember where you were when you first heard of the plane crash into the World Trade Center. I personally can recall that day vividly.

I was living in L.A. area at the time with my aunt and her family. I was woken by my cellphone ringing. My fiance said something like, 'A plane crashed into the World Trade Center' or ' New York is under attack.' My mind was still foggy and I thought I was dreaming. I believe I said, 'what?' about 10 times before in he told me to turn on the TV. So I went into my cousin's room, where the closest TV was to me, and turned on the news to see replays of the planes hitting the World Trade Center. I could barely believe what I was seeing. It was something I didn't want to see over and over again but had to because it was just so unbelievable.

I kept the news on as I got myself ready to head to work. Even though I lived in the LA area, it was far enough away that I didn't have to worry about being hurt from any other attacks. I worked retail at the time. Most of us just stood around watching the news in the electronics area. We had one person come in the store the whole day...well, my our area anyway.... no one was going about normal business - even as far away as a smaller city north of LA.

The attacks that occurred 10 years ago on this day impacted America as a whole. It broke all of our hearts. But it also united us in our American spirit.

No comments: