Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Weight Check and Mom's Thoughts

Weekly Weight Check and Appointment with Dr. Bravo

Well, yesterday I started to really lose my milk. Kian is not getting enough to eat breast milk wise and we weren’t able to get in to see Dr. Bravo until today. Kian HATES formula and has gagged on it when I have tried to give it to him – he is known to vomit things out of his mouth and everything else follows afterwards. So, Dr. Bravo told us to start him on whole milk early – I know they used to put babies on whole milk earlier than one year but studies have shown that babies can have milk allergies so they prolonged putting babies on milk to at least a year old. Kian did take some whole milk from a bottle today – not much be he did take some. I am just praying that he takes well to having it in a bottle or sippy cup because I have a feeling I won’t have much left to give him in a while.

Kian’s weight today was 15lbs. 1 ounce. So he only gained an ounce from last week. Dr. Bravo said that since he’s more mobile (he’s scooting around but backward) he is burning more calories. He said that I just need to feed him high calorie foods like avocados and things like that. Kian actually ate a whole avocado with dinner tonight! I was so proud of him! Dr. Bravo also said that he wants Kian to gain a pound a month and to be 3lbs. more by the time he’s a year old. He talked once again about doing tests at that point for CF (cystic fibrosis) and for growth hormone deficiency.

We will go in next week for Kian’s immunizations and Jamie and I plan to ask if we can just go ahead with the tests just to give us peace of mind or be able to start treatment right away.

Some Thoughts from Mom…

When I was pregnant I never thought that anything would go wrong – even that having a c-section would happen. I certainly never thought that anything could be wrong with my child. This year has been a tough one. Starting with Kian’s birth being rough, me almost dieing afterwards, then on to breastfeeding issues, weight problems, illnesses, hospitalizations, more weight problems, more breastfeeding problems. Sometimes it’s very hard to see the glass as half full instead of half empty! The one thing that I am thankful for is that fact that Kian is a pretty happy little guy now and doing fairly well accept for his weight. I keep reminding myself that God never gives me more than I can handle but I have to honest that I am pretty close to my limit…I am just hoping that there will be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel soon.

No comments: