Thursday, August 14, 2008

Kian Caught the Reading Bug and Meet another Cian!


Today was the last day of the library reading program. Kian would get a prize for every 5 books he would read. The first 20 or so books we read and he shared with a "listener" at the library he got a sticker for every 5. The last time we turned in his books he got a temporary tattoo! He loves those things and I think it was a good ending to our summer reading stuff. That doesn't mean that we won't make a weekly trip to the library. Kian loves getting new books and I love finding new ones too to be honest :)

While we were at the library something strange happened. Kian and I were looking through the books in the children's area. There were other people throughout the library and a lot of children since story time was about to start soon. All of a sudden I heard a woman's voice call "Kian....." Then I heard her say it again. I wasn't sure if I was hearing her right so I waited for her to say the name again and finally I turned to her and asked "What is his name?" since the little boy was standing right behind me. She said "Cian" (Cian is the Gaelic spelling of Kian). I repeated again, "Kian?" She said yes, "Cian," I said, "That's my son's name!" She went on to ask me about the spelling and we had a short conversation. Turns out she is the little boy's grandma and she is a teacher has had ANOTHER Keean (spelled that way) in her class! So our Kian is not alone in his name in our city!

Kian was taken aback by having another "Kian" wandering around. Hearing Cian's grandma say his name made him look at her with a puzzled expression. Guess that's what happens when you are not used to anyone having your name ;)

No comments: