Sunday, May 09, 2010

Appendix? Who needs it anyway...

Well, Jamie certainly didn't! Thursday night he complained about a stomach ache that we just marked up to being indigestion. He felt a bit better in the morning but since it was Friday, we figured we would head to the doctor just to make sure everything was ok. Thank GOD for our main doctor, Dr. Walker and his thoroughness! He didn't think that Jamie had appendicitis, but to be cautious he sent him for a CT scan. After drinking 4 cups of what smelled like bleach over two hours and an hour wait, Jamie went in for the scan. Sure enough, his appendix had to come out so we were sent right to the hospital for surgery.

Kian came along toward the end of it all, after I picked him up from school. Of course, trying to keep an almost 6 year old wrangled in a very boring hospital is not an easy task. Thank God for our friends Brian and MaryBeth who offered to take Kian overnight. I seriously have no idea what I would have done otherwise.

Jamie went back into surgery around 8PM and was told at almost 11PM that he was going up to a room. He was kinda out of it and since I didn't get much sleep the night before AND I had 12 kindergartners to deal with on my own the following day - I thought it would be best if I stayed home for the night.

After I got up and got ready, I headed straight to the hospital. Jamie looked really good. He is sore of course but he was doing better than I thought he would be. The doctor saw him right before we left for the bowling party and gave him the all clear to head home. So, after the party, Kian and I waited with Jamie until the paperwork for his leaving was finished - we didn't get home until after 5:30....bleh....

Jamie is doing really well, although he's still sore and needs help with some things. The way he's describing pain is much like the pain I had after having a c-section. At least I can empathize with him a bit and try to remember what things I can do to help out.

Needless to say, this weekend has been a busy, crazy, insane, and exhausting one. But we all survived and Kian had a good time all around which really was the most important thing.

No comments: